This year did not start out awesomely for me. I was depressed, angry with myself, with the world, generally angry. So instead of looking forward to my birthday as I usually do, I wished it away. I wanted to wake up and hear that it was June 22 or July 1. Shocker: that didn’t happen.
My June 21 has always been routine. I wake up to the sound of warrior raindrops alerting the world of my presence . Phone rings at exactly 12:01, excitement fills my bloodstream, I eat so much sugar and add weight enough for two people. This year is different. There was no rain, no call at 12:01, no excitement. Despite all that, this year is special. I have so much to be thankful for this year. For so long I’ve been focused on the bad stuff and I haven’t seen the amazingness around me. Thats the essence of this post.
10 things I am grateful for !
- Life. I’m so happy to be breathing the beautiful oxygen in Nigeria. To touch stuff and see that my hand didn’t pass through it. To still have another opportunity to explore the world.
- My family . Yes, cliche,but what is life if you don’t have family? My dad, my mother who is my everything, my sisters(my first children), my brothers, my cousins!!!! My others mothers and fathers. These people shout at me. Annoy me so much, and love me like there is no tomorrow. I’m glad I have them.
- My friends. I have to call their names. Osato and Esohe Okuomose,sisterly!!! Odigie Benjamin, the most annoying person I love, Uche Chile,you are my cousin but this wouldn’t be complete without you, Ogeoma! Lil Dr, fellow resident lazy fellow, you understand. Osaze Ogiehor, I know you are blushing, I love you forever! Chinedu Nwankwo! Even though we argue, you are a special someone Ubah Favour, Mercy Morka, Nwudi Udochukwu, Nwudi Chinaza, my day one’s!! How many years have we been friends? I don’t know, feels like a lifetime. You are my sisters. Uzu Joshua!!! You are the best there is! Just an amazing someone! Thank you all so much, for loving me when I couldn’t love myself, for sticking with me even though I’m annoying (please, I’m awesome, you love me ). Thank God I have you.
- My head full of hair. Yes, laugh at me, I love my hair!! The entire mane of madness, I love it
- Coldstone. See, ice cream is life. I swear down! I just thought you should know.
- Self love. In a world where labels rule, I have found myself and ripped off the labels that I was given. I’m more confident, comfortable in my skin, with myself
- I’m healthy. I’m so thankful for this because if anyone deserves to be sick, I do. The things I eat, with no exercise, yet I’ve never been sick in a looonnnnggg while. I’m thankful
- How far I’ve come. I’m not there yet. Not nearly. And I’m also not where I used to be. I’m somewhere, somewhere good. I’m proud to say I’m not just a naive girl roaming earth. I’m better now.
- For the people I have met. This year, awesome people have become my guys. I’ve learned so much from them. From wordpress, Amulya, I see you, in real life. I’ve met people who have added to me. Yerole!!!! Thank you.
- The journey. I’m most thankful for the memories. The moments. The heartbreaks, the laughter, my endless singing, for the food ,even the depression. All these things have shaped me, they have grown me. I’m better because of them.
So, the rain didn’t fall today because I’m finally old enough to announce myself.
Hi world, person reading this, my name is Bieni Peace Chukwufumnanya. I was born today. You don’t know me, yet, but you will soon. My coming will be loud! Like the sound of thunder before the rains, my staying will be forever, like the sun, whether or not you see me, I’ll be there. I am A Star,you don’t know it yet, but you will see it. Thank you for reading . Happy birthday Bieni Peace Chukwufumnanya, I love you, every single piece of you.